The word animate comes from the latin animatus which means "give breath to,” and the definition I particularly like meaning of "to endow with a particular spirit." Here are some tips on bringing your puppet to life, and of course endowing it with a spirit. The most important thing is for you to believe (or at least act as if you believe) that your puppet is real and always treat the puppet as if it’s alive.
Here are some movements you can make to show what your puppet is feeling.
• Shyness - chin down, looking away from you and/or the rest of the class.
• Interest/anticipation - head/face very close to yours.
• Tiredness - rubbing its head on your shoulder
• Fear - small head movements, but side to side, trembling movement.
• Crying / sadness - wiping eyes, head down.